halon

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: halon
From: BPHILLIP@hklaw.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:55:58 -0500
I currently own a standard dry chemical extinguisher that stays in my 1968
show car.  I am thinking of switching to a halon extinguisher so that if the
unthinkable happens, I haven't futher damaged the finishes around the
fire-damaged area w/ any dry chemicals.
My question is, how effective is halon as an extinguisher in the case of an
open engine bay fire?  As an architect, I have specified halon for computer
equipment rooms where the oxygen supply to the room is easily cut off
through the use of either alarm, smoke, or heat activated dampers.  The
halon bottles I have seen in vintage racers are often similarly placed in
the somewhat closed-off confines of the cockpit.  Unless I am
misunderstanding the theory behind halon fire suppression systems, I don't
see how they can extinguish a fire where there is an unlimited supply of
oxygen . . . .    do you just need a lot more of it than a dry chem
extinguisher?

thanks in advance for the plethora of scholarly replies!
Bryan
74 MGBGT (leaks oil)
68 Ferrari 365GT2+2 (leaks a lot of oil)