Re: Temporary Insulation

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>, shop-talk@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Temporary Insulation
From: David Laver <David.Laver@msdw.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:41:15 +0100
Derek,

Financial advice?   I read your summary after I sent a note on the 'real price
of racing'.  I have to agree with whoever it was that suggested 'buy something
as the ransom and do it at home'.   However by the time you factor in the ransom
and the tools and equipment it is unlikely to be any cheaper than getting
someone else to do it.  It depends if doing the work is for the hobby or for the
cost saving.

I take real pleasure in hands on work and find it a great pre-occupation from
the pressures of the day.  Recognise that and only do things that will bring
pleasure.  Its supposed to be fun.  Glass is nasty stuff to work with but it
might be a new skill and its certainly something you're going to get to look at
and think 'all my own work' on a regular basis.  Oh, and the other criteria for
doing it myself is that I really can get it done in a reasonable time frame.
Usually I have a go at a small but similar job first to see what I'm up
against.  Is there a small glass job you could do to see just how bad the smells
get and what level of quality you can get?   A model boat or a canoe for someone
if nothing on the car.

David