Rear Axle Problems

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Axle Problems
From: Dick Waite <dwaite@reboxx.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:48:23 -0400
In my 'other' life (non-TD) I race a 1932 era Ford based Sprint Car. The
rear axle is Model A Ford, which like all Fords up to 1949, in a
non-floating design. Hot rodders, circle trackers etc., have for years
been faced with the problem of losing the wheel assembly if the axle
breaks. The solution is to use a simple internal collar arrangement that
bolts thru the backing plate and over a ring welded to the inside of the
hub. Most of the racing organizatioins catering to these type of cars
require some such modification. Speedway Motors, and perhaps others,
offer a kit. It's actually a pretty simple fix and I suspect you could
design one for a TR without too much difficulty.