Re: Triumphs and roll overs

To: wsthompson@thicko.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Triumphs and roll overs
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:51:47 EDT
In a message dated 07/24/2000 11:07:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wsthompson@thicko.com writes:

<< This is such a common failure, with almost predictable results. Doesn't a
 Ford 8" or a 240Z rear axle work in these cars? If so, would any of the
 vintage organizations allow it? It would seem that on one hand, they're
 sticklers for originality, but on the other, lots of "original" TR3s & 4s
 are being wadded up into little piles of junk steel and tractor parts.

 What say you? >>

This certainly would be acceptable and encouraged by SVRA. The period GCR
also allows hubs, spindles, axles and other driveline parts to be exchanged
as long as the track dimension remains correct. Period rules did require the
original axle housing, but I have allowed alternate but similar housings for
10 years now. A good example is the Volvo 544 which has a particularly poor
rear axle.

BTW, Jeff Mennen rolled his GT6 in the same race coming out of Canada. The
cause  was a broken front lower trunion. I had driven the car in the group
race earlier in the day!

I feel strongly that we need to eliminate these design failures whenever
possible. This is real racing and the strictly by the book original spec cars
are scary under these conditions.

Jack Woehrle
SVRA technical director