Re: Vintage racing. What is this anyway?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage racing. What is this anyway?
From: Gary Speckman <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:51:19 -0500
Lee,

I appreciate your words but honestly believe you have grossly mis-characterized
the past few days bantering and especially the Team Thicko philosophy.

I would invite you, or anyone else, to join the Team Thicko mailing list.
You'll
get the whole story and feel of what we are all about there.  I'd be happy to
forward sign-up instructions to anyone interested.  But be warned, bring a sense
of humor or you won't last long.

We may make fun of ourselves, and our cars, but one thing is certain, the cars
ARE properly maintained.  Had there been any indication that WST's suspension
bolt was "going", you can bet he would have been advised of it and there would
have been 10 hands there, helping him fix it.
Camaraderie is a big part of vintage racing and that is on the top of Team
Thickos list.  As WST mentioned in one of his notes.... he hears the feet of
racers everywhere rushing to check their suspensions after this incident.
That's
a good thing. Things like this remind us of the fact that we are racing 40+ year
old automobiles and things fail.  Not always due to poor or non-existent
maintenance.

You are disturbed that we seem to sit around and make laughable jokes about very
serious situations.  True, sometimes we do...we're not the type that would sit
around and cry in our soup and feel sorry for ourselves.  If you cant laugh when
life hands you crap, ......... However,  we all appreciate and respect the
seriousness of our sport when the green flag drops.

We generally race with the VSCDA organization.  This organization has an
exemplary safety record and a serious drivers committee.  Non "vintage spirit"
driving is not accepted, but that doesn't mean we have to tour around the track
as if in some exhibition race.  We had the "what is vintage racing" discussion
on
this list several months ago, I don't want to revisit that.  There are as many
opinions on that subject as there are surviving Arnolt Bristols.

I appreciate the rarity and value of your cars and I am glad that you have found
a suitable organization that allows you to enjoy our sport in a manner that
suits
your philosophy.

Regards,
Gary Speckman