Re: Fan Belt Suggestions and duct tape story

To: Chad Raynal <chad.raynal@excite.com>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan Belt Suggestions and duct tape story
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:48:24 -0400
I've used Gates belts as a matter of preference when I could get them.  I
used to like the green ones that had a full fabric cover.  As a preference
in non-stock I like the toothed belts - 1/2" gilmer type belt can transfer
a lot of power and are almost foolproof.

I say almost fool-proof because I was using them on a Mini once.   I was
setting the timing in broad daylight using a cheap timing light, held very
close to the crank pulley running at 5,000 rpm.  The metal shroud of the
light caught the belt, and cut it right off so fast it was silly.  So there
I am, in St. Jovite (9 hour tow from home) just before the first practice
on Saturday.  No spare, and no industrial supplier in this quaint little
tourist town.  No stock pulleys in the paddock.  What to do?

The Mini gilmer belt setup uses a broad pulley on the waterpump, and a
narrow pulley with guide rails on the crank.  I went to the gas station at
the track entrance and bought several normal fan belts that I thought might
fit over the pulleys.  The smallest one was too tight, the next size up had
way too much slack to even think of working.  I then got out the Canadian
males best friend - Duct Tape.  I wrapped a 1/2" thick layer of duct tape
around the waterpump pulley, such that the fan belt would just barely fit
over.  I started the engine and the belt instantly pushed a v-belt shaped
groove into the layers of duct tape!  I ran the entire weekend using this
and it worked perfectly!

This is my best duct tape story, BTW...

Am I the only one who evaluates the significance of a breakdown based on
how far a tow I am from home and how early it is in the weekend?

Brian