Re: Powder Coating Suspension

To: "doug armstrong" <darmstrong@ptbo.igs.net>
Subject: Re: Powder Coating Suspension
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:02:24 -0500
At 11:14 AM 03/28/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>A friend recently showed me some parts he had powder coated in a "chrome"
>finish.
>
>I am restoring a Palliser / Winkelmann WDF-3 and had originally planned to
>have the suspension parts (suspension arms, trailing arms, etc.) nickel
>plated.  I don't want to use chrome because cracks can start under the
>chrome and not be seen on the surface.
>
>Is there a similar problem with the powder coating not showing damage?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Doug Armstrong

Yes.  Powder coat is known for very effectively hiding cracks, and is often
not recommended for race wheels for this purpose.  It's also very hard to
remove if repairs are needed.  If t'was me, I'd stay with nickle coating,
since it can easily repaired if needed by simply welding over the nickle
plating (nickle alloys easily with steel, and doesn't hurt the repair, or
so I've been advised.

Brian