Re: oil temp

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil temp
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:14:34 -0800
I used to think that the right place for the sender was between
cooler output and block input, so I could see what the bearings
were seeing. Someone pointed out to me that what you want to know
is if the oil is in danger of breaking down, so you really want
to know the max temp that the oil sees. That's between sump
and cooler input.

For carbon-based oil, I'd say that 260 degF is dangerously
close to failure. With Redline, I think you're fine, but
the good folks at Redline will tell you for sure.

(Of course, with a GT6, the oil cooler is trying to cool the
engine as well as protect the oil! :-)