Re: Speedvision Movie

To: "Michael Frank" <mfrank@westnet.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedvision Movie
From: "Ron Yates" <dipstickdigest@ctaz.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:34:40 -0700
Mike
    Saw your bit on the movie and noticed your comment about the woman race
driver concept being a bit ahead of its time.
    Actually not so. There resided in southern California a women's racing
drivers club that had a fair number pretty good women racers. I think at one
time there were at least eight of the ladies that held senior licenses and
could race in the senior events. Other than that they had a women's race at
most of the sanctioned events on the west coast during the fifties.
    Mary Davis, Ruth Levy, Ina Balchowsky, Linda Scott, Lauraine Wood, Janet
Lake, Sue Mathews, Josie von Neumann and Barbara Windhorst to name a few.
    Denise McCluggage and Ruth Levy were active on the national scene and
later Donna Mae Mims was the first SCCA woman Champ driving her pink Sprite
to a national title in, I believe, 1961.
    I had to mention this as the "Frigid Princess" hinted that if I didn't
say something I might get to eat in the garage by myself - - again.

Cheers
Ron Yates, Editor
Dipstick Digest

mailto:dipstickdigest@ctaz.com