Re: Valve Stem Seals

To: "MalcolmCox" <malcox@napanet.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Stem Seals
From: "Richard Crump" <rcrump@enid.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:33:40 -0600
Malcolm:
I run seals on the intake because when the intake valve is open, there is
substantial vacuum on the guide/seal.  This tends to pull oil down the stem
into the combustion chamber.  Conversely,, the exhaust valve is under
pressure when it is open so there is little chance of oil getting into the
combustion chamber from this path.  Because less oil goes down the exhaust
valve stem and because it runs drastically hotter than the intake valve many
leave the seals off of the exhaust valves as a safety measure to prevent a
valve sticking in the guide.  I had this happen with an XKE on the street
and have been spooked ever since.
Richard, FP sprite/AP corvette.