Re: Vintage Racer: what car to buy?

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage Racer: what car to buy?
From: "Jim Froula" <stingray@foxinternet.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:54:19 -0800
> Driving a LOTUS does take you a step higher in the snob appeal league,
> however.  Although most of my Ferrari friends are embarassed to have the
> LOTUS guys even bus their tables....so you're still haven't MADE IT yet!!!
> But your a darn site closer than if you had a 510 or Sprite (sorry Datsun
and
> AH/MG drivers!!...but sometimes the truth hurts)!!
>
> OK...spam away again...
>
> Myles H. Kitchen
> 1965 LOTUS Cortina Mk1 #128

Okay, since you asked for it. If the objective is a cost effective, fast,
easy to drive car with a good supply of parts, then why not a Datsun 510?
You might start by PLEASE explaining the huge resistance to Datsuns in
vintage racing. Is it the "racing heritage" thing? I no it can't be
design/engineering, can it? Or maybe the fact they never had a bright red
factory color?
    I own a '68 510 as well as a Lotus Escort MkI. I have also experienced
the pain and agony of friends at the track working on their more exotic
marques. The guys that seem to make the biggest deal out of the stigma are
also the guys who pay people to bring their car to the track, work on it for
them and make their lunch. Believe me, I'm all for that treatment. But I
don't think they appreciate the overall package of the car (or cars) they
have chosen.
    I'm not prejudice because of where a car came from. Or is that the big
deal? I do know the Ford is going to take ALOT more effort to be as fast as
the Datsun (but that's why I bought it, I like the challenge).

For the beginner, I vote for a Datsun 510.