Re: Synthetic Brake Fluid

To: Mark Palmer <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Brake Fluid
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:16:19 -0500

Mark Palmer wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I think it's a little different than that ... conventional (glycol-based)
> brake fluids are hygroscopic, as you note, and will absorb moisture like
> crazy.
Synthetic brake fluids are famous for showing a soft pedal or low
retardation for unknown reasons. The explanation I gave came from a
engineer in the biz about 10 years ago. The problem, according to him,
is caused by contamination in the system when you fill it, and there is
no way to remove it. At least mineral based fluids absorb it not keep it
in "pockets' where it can cause harm.
BTW, I did a web search on the subject and found lots of misinformation!
Here is one that closely follows what I heard before.
http://www.muller.net/karting/docs/technical/brfluid.html

--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim/jim.htm