Re: 12-pt nuts/bolts - was - Tool for a loved one

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: 12-pt nuts/bolts - was - Tool for a loved one
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:44:28 -0800
All of the AN series bolts I see have regular hex heads. What Mil spec
are you referring to that has a 12-point head on a bolt? There are 2
kinds of high strength AN nuts. The "Jet Nuts" are 6 point, with a
small head and a flange. The 12 point ones are called "Super Nuts" in
the catalogs I have. Both are intended for areas of limited access.
The manifold nuts on my Formula Junior are barely reachable even with
12-point nuts. ARP bolts with special heads aren't necessarily Mil-spec
AN series, even though they may exceed some of those standards.