Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #423 This thread ain't tired!

To: <owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #423 This thread ain't tired!
From: pkrause@ibm.net
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:40:14 -0500
I agree with Myles!

I've been on this list for about two years and it never ceases to amaze me
how far away some folks are from the "Vintage Spirit"...

The issue is simple, drive with SOME margin. If you don't know where the
edge is, then don't go there. If you are trying to find out, do so gently
and with no one else around you. Vintage racing is not "no fault." There are
so many other venues where you can go out and drive over the edge that there
is NO excuse for collecting someone or something else with your car, whether
it's a LeMans winning Aston or WST's "Rat Bastard". The pro drivers should
know better, but often they don't, witness Moss' and De Cadenet's faux pas.
The problem is it doesn't just screw them up, it screws the poor "puntee"
who's got to fix damage which was not of their doing. I wrote an article
that was published in the September /October 1998 issue of Grassroots
Motorsports on "Vintage Racing Etiquette." I received supportive calls from
Brian Redman and even Myles' buddy, Steve Earle ;-) Check it out at your
leisure... In the meantime, the groundswell exists for organizations who
reward those who keep to those margins, and punish those who don't (or
can't.) VSCCA has never been more popular with over 800 members. Sufficient
interest exists to virtually ensure the success of the new VDCA, and I'll be
in Savannah! The Volvo Historics (part of Northern New Jersey SCCA) and HSR
provide venues for those with cars (and occasionally, attitudes) which are
less bound by these ideas. You pays your money and you take your choice!

Peter Krause
VSCCA #633, Winner BMW Cup, BMW Vintage Festival, 1991
SVRA #1832, Small Bore Group Rep 1991-94, Chief Instructor 1994-Present,
Professional Mechanic of the Year 1993.
HSR #46, Sprint Class Champion, Rolex Endurance Class Champion 1993
SCCA #139029, Licensing Chair, North Carolina Region 1991-Present
BMWCCA Club Racing License #168
Winner Vintage Motorsport Magazine "Spirit of Vintage Racing" Award 1997

...See, I'm well-rounded AND experienced!