race gas

To: Vintage <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: race gas
From: "Paul Meis" <pmeis@bgsm.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:37:09 -0500
Team Escargot belatedly is putting its toe into the race gas discussion, (or
am I putting my foot in my mouth?). Anyhow, we have been racing our Honda
S-800 powered race cars on 93 octane unleaded for the past 13 years with no
obvious ill effects. We run 10.5 to 1 compression, and we probably get away
with this low octane requirement because of hemi combustion chambers and
small bore size, (62mm). The only obvious drawbacks are 1. difficulty
reading plugs, and 2. on the dyno, 104 octane race gas gives 3 or 4 more
horsepower. Being the cheapskates we are, we usually run the 93 octane, but
then, we think different and run Mac computers!
Paul and Doug Meis, Team Escargot
67 Honda S-800 race car
69 NTM-Honda D-sports racer
72 Honda AZ 600 coupe (bizarre car)