Nurburgring 750 Meilen

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Nurburgring 750 Meilen
From: Ed McDonough <Ed.McDonough@northampton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 13:47:36 +0000
 No vintage-race list members appeared at the Nurburgring last
weekend for the 750 Mile Race for Historic Cars. just as well
because it was very cold  in the Eifel valley. The race was reduced
to 750 kilometers because the pits are being torn down in
preparation for rebuilding for next year.
The race was won overall by the sports class Tiga of Germans
Mundt and Kreiss.  The 1300 cc. class was won by the Alfa
Romeo Giulia Ti of Belgian Thierry Inghels, Dutch father and son
Tommy and Thom Fransen, and yours truly, Ed McDonough. The
race was run in 3 sessions of 2 hours 15 minutes, to allow
refuelling as the old pumps are gone. i was 'lucky' enough to draw
the middle session in which it rained off and on for two hours,
making the circuit (the grand prix circuit) very slippery.

'Our' team has now won the 1300cc class of the
Langstreckenpokal...the series of long distance races all held at
the Nurburgring over the season, and I was very pleased to have
been invited to join the team. My first race at the Ring was in
1973..the 1000Kms on the long circuit, then the 24 Hours on the
long circuit in 1989, so a win...even on the GP track...is pretty nice.

Ed McDonough
Full report to appear in Vintage Racecar Journal