Street tires

To: Vintage Race List <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Street tires
From: Tony Drews <tmccis@revealed.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 22:32:27 -0600
Hi, I've got Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on my Miata currently.  I like
the way they feel - I can toss the car around pretty well, nice
oversteer at low speed, pretty neutral at high speed.  However, these
tires are noisy.  As in: I'm accellerating, not spinning the tires (who
knew a Miata could spin the tires?) and I hear loud squealing sounds.
There's no-one else around, it must be me!  Or, I tossed it into a
corner and my God!  What's that sound (oh, it's me...)!

So, since y'all are fellow enthusiasts...  I've got about 45K on the
tires (and the car) and the rears are finally showing the wear bars.  Do
you have tires on your street car that last a reasonable mileage (more
than 10K certainly! - looking for 30K or so) that feel decent that don't
make much noise?  Although I'm thinking about autocrossing a couple of
times while I build my Vintage TR-4, ultimate traction is not really the
goal.  On the street, a lower limit can be more fun...  Any
recommendations?  I'm looking for respectable handling and NO SQUEALING
unless I really deserve it.

Thanks in advance!

- Tony Drews