Re: In-car Video Cameras

To: derek.lola@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: In-car Video Cameras
From: "Edwin Smith" <EHSMITH@us.oracle.com>
Date: 25 May 99 08:40:03 -0700
--=_ORCL_28531726_0_0

I'd vote for the remote mini-cam with the recorder in a rubber cushioned box
fastened to the floor of the car.  I've broken inexpensive video cameras,
expensive vibration dampened video cameras and used a wide combination of
dampening devices, bungee cords, rubber insulators, etc. to protect the
cameras.  The video camera folks tell me that vibration is the enemy and the
tape mechanisms and electronic boards in non-commercial/non-mil-spec cameras
aren't up to the task when mounted by the screw fitting on the base of the
camera.

Best option is to get a remote setup and mount the camera in a secure box lined
and fitted with a good medium density foam liner.

This is the best bet for a vintage car from an esthetics standpoint as nothing
looks as non-vintage as a big video cam hanging off of your roll bar......

Ted Smith

--=_ORCL_28531726_0_0