Starter motors

To: Vintage racing bulletin board <VINTAGE-RACE@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter motors
From: "Dick Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 08:51:11 -0700
I am interested in putting a new starter on a Jolus (Ford powered
rear-engined Formula Jr--Australian built 1961).  It currently uses a
Lucas starter and the flywheel only has beveled teeth on the transaxle
side i.e. the side that the Lucas starter gear is pulled into.  A Tilton
SuperStarter won't fit without some modification i.e. the mounting plate
needs to be indexed between two of the factory options.  I am, therefore
thinking of going to one of the Japanese ones which have been talked
about previously i.e. Issuzu Trooper (as I remember).  When talking to
the Tilton rep. at the Performance Car and Racing Show last year, he
said that with the beveled teeth in the Tilton starter motor gear that
it is not necessary to have a beveled flywheel.  Being an enthusiastic
amateur and not a mechanical engineer, it seems to me that it might
work, but would sure work better if the flywheel was beveled on the
engine side i.e. the side from which the SuperStarter engages.  Does
anybody have any suggestions or advice?
Dick Buckingham, Jr.