Re: Hart 420R engine mystery Warning - Long letter

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hart 420R engine mystery Warning - Long letter
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:44:58 -0500
Hmmm,  has this motor . . .at any time since and including it's last build
or "freshening", exhibited a problem with "ring-seating"?  Excessive
"blow-by" or low compression pressures in a fresh-built engine?  The reason
I mention this is that it is not unknown for a unlearned and/or unscrupulous
person seeking a quick-fix, to "feed" the air intakes a small amount of
"Bon-Ami", a white, mild abrasive cleansing powder, in order to break the
glaze on cylinder walls.  I have even heard of the practice being
recommended in a manufacturers factory service bulletin back during the
early days of chrome rings which had seating problems; I can't vouch for
this being true . . .I hope it's NOT true, but you might consider the
possibilities.  Also, if there has been a dry fire extinguisher discharged
in the engine area while it's running, I seem to remember that some
extinguishing media can be very abrasive.   I wouldn't think the contaminant
was oil-born or the bearing and sump would show evidence.  Keep us informed.
Tony