Re: Anti-Submarine Strap

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Anti-Submarine Strap
From: "A. Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 17:50:55 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
To: A. Sta. Maria <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Cc: Lotus List <lotus-cars@lists1.best.com>

>>Andres
>
>Is this for a single strap?
>
>I could swear the double-strap method I described was in common use in the
>USA.
>
>Phil Ethier    Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
>Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
>LOON, TCVWC, MAC

Hello Phil,

You are probably right.  However, I checked my hardcopy of Appendix J (1995
issue) and the illustration for the submarine belt shows an attachment point
directly below the seat base hole for the strap, witha 20 degree allowance
either fore or aft.  The rules for sports cars require two straps for the
submarine belts and two mounting points.  A problem with the Elan, since
there is nothing but fiberglass beneath the seats.  I had to make do with a
large washer to spread the load for the single strap.

On my 23, the single strap is mounted to the cross bar ahead of the seat.

My Simpson belts came with instructions, but can't locate this.  Also, the
leg straps that come with the new type harnesses (e,g., Willans Silverstone)
might require aft attachment points, as you described.  Perhaps the new
Appendix J (available off the Web) provides for this.

Regards, and you sure do know a lot about wheel bolt patterns.

Andres
Manila