Safir GT40s

To: <kubler_td@gowebway.com>
Subject: Safir GT40s
From: "A. Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 06:30:20 +0800
The old GT40s are way beyond my budget, but the GT40 has always been so
appealing, so close approximations are always interesting to me.  I was in
the East Coast in 1997 to watch the September Lime Rock historics and took
the opportunity to visit ERA.  They make the 427 Cobra replicas of course
and a very interesting 289 FIA.  But the piece de resistance was their GT40,
available in LHD or RHD, and in street or competition form.  ERA uses a
stainless steel tub, not a tube chassis like most other replicas.  And you
can have the shift lever on the door sill in the RHD version.

It was very tempting, and I am sure the Safirs are even more so.  The
problem with the ERA is that the total cost at the time was US$100,000 plus,
still a small fortune.  How much do Safirs run?  Are they still in
production?

I know the ERA should not be vintage race eligible, so I apologize for
talking about in the List.  (I confess also to having been looking at a
local Westfield Eleven, too!)

Incidentally, we had a small turnout at the local races this April (very few
sports cars here), but it was all in all a lot of fun.  An Opel GT beat off
an Alfa GTV, a 1600 Karmann Ghia caught up with and stayed ahead of an MGA,
while a Mini Cooper S terrorized everyone until its head gasket blew!  The
local GT350s were all the shop for some reason, so no heavy machinery this
month.  My own Elan, being rebuilt after last year's off, I hope will still
make some of the season.

Next weekend, we have a street race at a new city being built next to
Manila.  In addition to the regular vintage sprints, we will have a 3-lap
Endro for a gaggle of MG TCs and TDs plus (assuming its magneto can be fixed
in time) a Morgan 3-wheeler.  No GT40s.

Regards to all.

Andres
Manila