Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #208 Roler rockers...

To: "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@ibm.net>, <owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #208 Roler rockers...
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:56:20 -0800
HEAR!  HEAR!  Very well said Peter.  I emphatically agree!    The rocker
gear on a pushrod engine is one of the limiting factors of the design.  If
an engine is breaking rocker arms, it is most likely because the cam profile
is to radical for the configuation of the parts.  That is how the engine was
and should be!  if we are Vintage racing.  We build lots of race TR-4
engines in my shop.  The rocker arm , the cam lobe size and the valve sizes
are all limiting factors in these engines.  Sofar the most power we have
been able to obtain from a LEGAL engine; std valve size,bore and stroke,
etc. has been about 190 bhp.  I have no doubt that using oversize valves
with roller rockers, a roller cam and added displacement we would have no
problem getting in excess of 240bhp.  Would that be     VINTAGE car
preparation?  I don't think so.

Regards, Greg  Solow

The Engine  Room

Santa Cruz, Calif.