Re: Wires, etc.

To: Vintage Race <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wires, etc.
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 11:31:26 -0800
If you fit a high voltage coil, you are also supposed to fit wide-gap plugs.
The comment about the coil only producing enough voltage to arc over the
plugs is correct. There is an optimum for each combination. Perhaps the
racer whose motor crapped out at high RPM with the hot coil didn't try a
wider gap on the plugs. If all the energy is dissipated by a lower voltage
spark because you didn't let it build up to arc the wider gap, then you
never found the optimum setup for that coil.  I've heard of plug gaps as
wide as 0.060" for high voltage coils. My old style Mallory wants 0.030
to 0.035" instead of the 0.020-0.025" which would be more typical for the
plugs i'm using (NGK).

In the traditional inductive storage system, the primary voltage DOES get
up to 100+ volts when the points first open. All the CD system does is
replace inductive current storage with capacitive charge storage.