Re: Spark Plug wires/Ignitions/rev limiters

To: malcox@napanet.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spark Plug wires/Ignitions/rev limiters
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:42:24 EST
Malcolm;

The likely reason they were requesting spiral core wires was in fact to
minimize electrical "noise" getting into their circuitry and screwing things
up, or worse, zapping the parts.

Far too often, such aftermarket electronic products are not designed to
withstand severe electrical transients as are the OEM pieces.  With today's
electronics, it is possible to design a system to withstand such a severe
environment.  In fact, one test spec for most OEM black boxes require firing
an open spark plug wire at 40KV into each input lead of the box without
interruption, and without failure.  Unfortunately, many manufacturers either
don't have the engineering capabilities, or are willing to spend the necessary
costs to to this....

BTW, this is how I make my living, by consulting with companies on automotive
electronics issuses, on both engineering and marketing matters.   So, if
anyone has any potential clients, please refer them to me (shameful self
promotion.....)

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128