Re: Spark Plug wires/Ignitions

To: derekp@Synopsys.COM, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spark Plug wires/Ignitions
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 17:47:53 EST
Derek, et al;

Years ago, I was an ignition engineer at Motorola, and evaluated different
types of ignition systems for benchmarking.  Through that experience, Iearned
a LOT about ignitions.  However, we never looked much at wires, except to know
that using resistor wires disappated some of the spark energy in the wires, as
opposed to at the plug for non-resistors.

In recent years, one product that has caught my eye, but I have not looked
into it further is the NOLOGY wires.  These wires have a shielding which
creates a capacitor, which, according to the mfgr., creates a "tuned" circuit
which can transmit greater energy to the plug.  In theory, this sounds legit,
however, having a "tuned" circuit that works over a wide enough frequency
range to have a noticeable benefit is something I would have to be shown to
believe.

The basic function of the igniton is to light the air/fuel mixture.  Depending
on MANY nuances of engine/head design, this can become a challenging
proposition.  Lean burning engines, high swirl, and a tendancy to blow the
spark out before it can propogate, are all problems that an ignition can help
solve.  Not to mention wear problems, like leaking rings that let the plugs
foul with oil.

In the end, the best systems have high spark energy (voltage X current X
time).  Inductive ignitions almost universally can provide more energy than
capacitive discharge units, even multiple spark ones.  The multiple spark
designs are useful, however for those troublesome situations identified above,
even though they may be lower energy.

Contrary to popular beliefs, ignitions cannot increase your horsepower.  They
can only help you minimize losses that may be keeping you from realizing the
horsepower capability in your engine.

Hope I partially answered your question...

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128