Re: Cortina questions...

To: SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cortina questions...
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 00:47:36 EDT
Shawn;

The Cortina steering boxes are prone to wear.  I've rebuilt mine from parts
from several donor boxes.  Be aware that there are two different steering worm
gears that fit in the same box, one much faster than the other (don't know the
ratio's off the top of my head).

Where they wear is along the worm gear from constant vibrations transmitted
from the road.  Riding in the worm are some ball bearings.  If you disassemble
it, you may see pitting along the worm gear.  Cleaning it up lightly with a
die grinder or some light emery cloth may improve it, along with replacing the
balls (available at any bearing supplier).  The lower seal always leaks, too.
I've rebuilt mine, and it still leaks...not a good design.  If its got 140K on
it without being apart, it very likely needs a rebuild.  Its not that tough to
do.  I have the shop manuals, and can copy the pages pertaining to this, if
you'd like.  Email me your address and I'll snail mail it to you.  My manual's
for a Mk1, but they're virtually identical.

Haven't looked into substitutions as that's not really legal for my race car.

As far a tires go, I run either 185/60ZR-13's, or 205/60ZR-13's.  Both fit the
car and work well.  I've tried BFG T/A R1's, Bridgestone RE-71Rs, Toyo Proxes
RA-1's, Hoosiers (belted....didn't like them, wasn't set up for them),
Goodyears (Eagles), and Yokohamas 008Rs.  I prefer either the BFG's, or the
Bridgestones, but these are all sticky race compounds.  I'm sure the street
versions of any of these would be fine.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128
1969, 1970 Cortina Mk II estate wagons (undergoing restoration....don't ask
why!!)