Re: MGB Gearing for vintage racing

To: aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Re: MGB Gearing for vintage racing
From: RodsINTOMG <RodsINTOMG@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 23:19:42 EDT

<<
 It looks as though I have found a good banjo rear end for my
 MGB-GT and am now faced with the task of choosing a gear
 ratio.  Stock is 3.90, but there are options for 4.30 and
 4.55.  I'm inclined to go with 4.30 unless someone says that
 the 4.55 is really necessary.  I'd like the car to be at
 least a little bit streetable when all is said and done, but
 still be best suited for the track.  Any input would be
 greatly appreciated.

 Thanks,

 Andy
 --  >>

Andy,

I have and have run both a 3.9 and a 4.3 in my 1964 MGB.  I have a close ratio
gearbox but a fairly stock 1800cc three main bearing engine.  I have concluded
that the 4.3s are right for me about 90% of the time, right for Sears Point
and right for Thunderhill.  Last year I ran my '67 MGBGT in the CSRG Clinic
with 3.9 and a standard gearbox and if I was in 4th gear I was only taching
4,000 RPMs and if taching 5,000 RPMs or better I was only in 3rd.  If you
don't have a very powerfull engine the lower gears will give you lots of
touque out of the low speed turns.  This seems to be especially true with the
C/R gearbox.  If you can get a 4.3 (You must already have a 3.9) change the
spider gears so that you can use the MGB axles and have one set of each.  I
find it takes about 2 hours to swap rear end banjos start to finish.

Cheers,

Rod Schweiger
'64 MGB Sebring Replica