Re: Lodging for Monterey Historics

To: thomkuby@ridgecrest.ca.us
Subject: Re: Lodging for Monterey Historics
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:10:03 PDT
Thom Kuby wrote:

> Thats a fact, Simon...
> this year is probably an even bigger mess than normal, what with the "huns"
> coming to town-50th anniversary bash and all that...I'm a Porsche guy, so I
> really can't pass this one up... BUT, if this were a "normal hassle" I
> think I'd probably give up on the Historics altogether in favor of
> attending more, smaller, local club hosted events...more track time,
> looser, and more fun etc etc.  I heard somewhere that rental of Laguna Seca
> alone is something like 45k...that true?  Somewhere along the line I think
> we'll see some sort of general backlash against these "big" events in favor
> of smaller, more frequent gatherings at lessor known/used venues...

Yeah, but that's what they said 2 years ago when it was BMW.  My comment
was, "The Hun hordes are upon us!"  ;=) If you think the overbooking on
hotels is bad, the racers have it worse.  The Hysterics get 3-5 times as
many entry forms as they have grid positions.  Small events are great,
but you just never know who will show up at one of the big ones.  I
raced my Formula Junior in the 96 Historics.  Lucky for me BMW never
built any Formula Juniors.  It just so happened, the Kingston Trio had
signed on to do a benefit concert there.  Nick Reynolds drove my car way
back when.  Where else could I have gotten a chance to talk to him?  I
actually prefer the Wine Country Classic over the Historics as a racer.
There's more track time, it's less hassle, less crowded, but it's still
a pretty good spectacle to be part of.  That's coming up in May.

The other thing to remember about Laguna Seca is that it is run as a
park.  Sears Point is run as a business.  They actually don't want
Laguna Seca being used as a race track every weekend (bloody neighbors).
Sears Point definitely wants a full dance card.  Renting Sears is not
cheap either.  The last figure I saw was $35K.  Laguna only gets 3 loud
weekends a year (maybe 4?).  Running with severe sound restrictions is a
b*tch.

> To be honest...I've ALWAYS had a bit of a problem with great big events
> (read crowds & hype) anyway...be it concerts, playoffs, tournaments,
> racing, whatever...smaller groups and a relaxed pace is more my
> style-perhaps I'm a little weird, but I just seem to get more out of
> that...

But that's why you're IN vintage racing, right? ;=)  Smaller groups,
relaxed pace, etc?

Cheers.  Your $.02 worth appreciated.