Fender flares

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fender flares
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:40:32 -0500
I wonder if the SCCA has a library of old General Competition
Regulations..

I started racing in the 60's and I have several memories and
recollections, but documentation would help. Besides, as someone else
pointed out, one year can make a difference.

My recollection is that in the 60's flares were not allowed, but there
was a rule that said that tires could not extend beyond the lip of the
fender. This led to some creative cheating as tire cross sections
started increasing, so the rule was modified and small flares started to
appear. However, big flares were not necessary in the early days,
because rim width was limited, and tread - that is, centerline to
centerline of tires - was spelled out. Therefore, flares were not
needed.

However, in later years, wheel width regulations were changed and wider
flares came into being. I just don't remember the years.

Other changes were similar. In the 60's it was forbidden in writing to
create any opening in sheet metal for additional air flow. That meant
that cutting a hole in the front lower valance for an oil cooler, like
on my TR4, was illegal.

Additionally, in the 60's it was also illegal to duct air through the
headlights, but by the time I raced my TR3 in the late 70's it was
legal, so I used this as a much-needed source for front brake cooling
air.

Wonder what SCCA has as a library -- on the other hand, we don't want to
become too rule-bound, do we?
--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer