Re: Lucas Generator Substitutions

To: stadther@pclink.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Lucas Generator Substitutions
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 13:16:45 EST
In a message dated 98-01-31 10:49:24 EST, stadther@pclink.com writes:

<< Isuzu Trooper Starter does not fit.
 The Isuzu starter has the correct rib to fit into the 3 1/2-inch starter
 hole, but the bolt spacing is about 4.95 inches as opposed to the Lucas 4.5
 inches.  Also, the solenoid, or whatever protrudes from the side of the
 starter, will not clear the frame of a Merlyn 11A or the firewall of a
 Bugeye Sprite with a 1275. >>

The Isuzu starter bolts right up to the BMC engine if our Huffaker Fjr. which
has a 5" bolt circle. On a Mini which has a 4.5" bolt circle you have to
elongate the mounting holes on the starter. There are two different versions
of the Isuzu starter and they each have a slighty different solenoid position.

If the solenoid position interferes with a fixed object on certain cars, I
guess you have a problem. Billy Coates and several other Sprite mechanics have
taken my numbers and successfully installed them on their cars. Yours is the
first case that I have heard of that had a problem.

The later Isuzu starter has a Pep Boys p/n of 16878-01.

Good luck, Jack Woehrle