Re: Discontinued Kits

To: f1m@muon01.phy.olemiss.edu
Subject: Re: Discontinued Kits
From: Barton Spencer Brown <bartbrn@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 13:10:52 +0000
<<Dennis's position in the company has recently changed to one more in
control of the entire McLaren organization and less with the race team.
Do you think his replacement will be in a position to re-evaluate
the licensing?>>

An intersting question, and one that brings up another: What was the
genesis and evolution of Ron Dennis' position at McLaren? I don't know
the story, but after the death of Bruce McLaren in 1970, I was under the
impression that control of the company was somehow shared among Pat
(Bruce's widow), Tyler Alexander, and Teddy Mayer. It was certainly
Mayer who ran the F1 end of things through the '70s and, I think, well
into the '80s.

Ron Dennis had started as a mechanic with the team way back in the mists
of time. Somehow he managed to acquire the lucre necessary to achieve
his present position, and what the hell ever happened to Tyler
Alexander?

Interesting questions...I wish I knew the answers! I'm going to post
this note to the vintage racing mail list (hope they don't mind; I *am*
a subscriber...); I'll bet somebody there knows the straight skinny (but
probably not on the Tamiya deal).

Bart Brown