Re: Roll bar question

To: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Subject: Re: Roll bar question
From: Clark <Clark@dnf.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:21:04 -0800
Hi Simon,

My car is 356-based and the roll bar is out of a period racing Speedster
(which has retired from racing).  There will be some parallels as far as
mounting points and there will certainly be some obstacles.  I expected I
would have to go the custom bar route, but this opportunity seems like it
might have potential.  Your suggestions are good ones.  I keep thinking its
a 1200 pound car so I was hoping that the progress of metallurgy wouldn't
be too big a factor.

I bought a little TIG welder which has been indispensible on this project
(its more like Subaru 360 size, certainly smaller than a Berkeley).

John Keppelman's thoughts were also much appreciated.  I will follow up on
the rules and make sure that this unit complies before I move on.  There
are probably too many good reasons to let this idea drop.  I guess the idea
of running a vintage helmet...oh forget it.

Thanks to both of you,

Clark

>Well, I did hear of one guy building a hot rod lakester just so he could
>use a period custom windshield, so maybe this is not too wierd after
>all.  I would believe that metallurgy has improved in the last 40 years,
>so you should be able to have something stronger made now.  I know how
>unusual your car is.  Are you sure this bar will fit without perhaps
>compromising the integrity of the mountings?
>
>Have it crack tested if you get it.  After it's mounted, I would hit it
>with a torch at the joints to normalize any stress induced by the
>mounting process.
>
>I know somebody who can build you a real nice custom one once the car is
>in towable condition.  He uses a TIG welder about the size of a VW Bug.

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html