Vintage Trailer Update, Insurance, etc.

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vintage Trailer Update, Insurance, etc.
From: MHKitchen <MHKitchen@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 23:52:18 EST
After reading all the posts on this subject, several interesting points have
emerged, especially the insurance issue.  I specifically added my trailer to
my tow vehicle policy, but haven't checked on contents coverage.

With regard to vintage spirit, I feel I have as much as anyone....however I
draw the line when it comes to my comfort and security getting to and from the
races.  I'm with Don again on the added security an enclosed trailer offers
for multi-day, multi-weekend trips.  Add to that a haven from the elements
during rainstorms (Seattle), windstorms (Thunderhill, or Willow Springs), and
the sun (Phoenix, L.A., etc.).  Its also a great place for working on the car
out of the elements, changing, and watching the in-car video replays (again,
not vintage, I know...).  It also means I usually don't have to wash the race
car again at the track.  In the past, I've flat towed, open-towed, and
enclosed towed....and I much prefer the latter.  I enjoy seeing those who show
up with vintage tow vehicles or drive to the events, but think to myself how
NUTS they are as I drive home in air-conditioned comfort.

BTW, I happened to find a vintage book on Women in Sportscar Racing, published
in 1958 that I gave my girlfriend for Christmas.  In it, the author describes
and provides photos of their race "rig", which was their converted, enclosed
HORSE TRAILER!!  So, they DID show up with enclosed trailers in the old days,
although admittedly much less than now.

A final note, I've even been know to walk around the pits and investigate
people's trailers.  I've seen some very creative packaging, some vintage iron,
and some downright scary contraptions....Something else to do during that
"everything else is waiting" period.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (enclosed and pampered) Cortina Mk1 #128