Re: Re: trailers

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net, CLCSF@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Re: trailers
From: S800Racer <S800Racer@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 16:30:42 EST
        While I agree with the statement "don't use any more trailer than you
absolutely need", I disagree with the need for 18 ft. enclosed trailer.  For
starters, it is not in the vintage spirit.  Most of our cars were either
driven to the track, flat towed, or hauled on an open trailer.  Enclosed
trailers were uncommon even for the big boys, and unheard of in the production
classes.
        I haul my car on a flatbed trailer with a Ford Aerostar minivan (with
the
4.0L V-6).  I have plenty of room for a set of rain tires, tools, spares,
canopy, luggage and the family.  There are several advantages to this
approach:  I can store my trailer in the corner of my basement garage;  I
don't need a dedicated tow vehicle and/or I don't have to drive a truck around
town;  I get pretty decent mileage while towing -- 14-15mpg;  The cost of an
open trailer is a fraction of an enclosed trailer;  Last but not least, I can
show off my car on the way to the race!
        My car lives indoors 95% of the year, I'm not worried about it being
exposed
to the weather the other 5%.  So why do you really need an enclosed trailer?
You might be happier with a good open trailer.

        Doug Meis -- Keepin' it real.  Peace.