Re: Vintage ovals

To: JWoesvra <JWoesvra@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage ovals
From: Jeremy Braithwaite <ATROZ@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 20:14:19 -0500
Jack

After I emailed you I got a phone call from a FF racer who said that ther=
had been a round of our national series (current cars - not historic) on
Australia's only real oval ....the Thunderdome in Melbourne.

As you suggested they came off the oval for a short road course section
which apparently worked extremely well.  Apparently everybody really
enjoyed the event and its a shame it never happenned again.

In Brooklands before THE War (for the younger members of the list we are
not talking about Vietnam or Korea) they used to arrange handivaps by
having 3 or 4 chicanes of different severity.  The slow cars ran straight=

though without having to slow down, the next slowest had only a mild
chicance, while the fastest cars had an extremely slow chicane which was
enough to even things up considerably.

The promotion of Nascar events in Melbourne seems to have fallen into a
whole so maybe the concept of running a historic race there could be
attractive to the owners.

Maybe we should give them a call in the New Year!

regards

Jeremy Braithwaite
Age & Treachery Racing Australia
For details of FF rentals, test days and corporate days see:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/atroz
1970 Lotus 61MX - Team Holland
1976 Bowin P6F
1983 Reynard FF83 =

1986 Isuzu FVR Pantechnicon
1972 Datsun 240Z
1993 RF93 Van Diemen with 95 update
1997 Ford Falcon XR8 Tickford
A large collection of model cars
Investor in the Lance Ruting Collection of motorsport photographs