Re: Scuderia Illa Gitima -Reply

To: George Hough <HOUGHGE@mmah.gov.on.ca>
Subject: Re: Scuderia Illa Gitima -Reply
From: Jeremy Braithwaite <ATROZ@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 06:52:44 -0500
George

<<By the way what is a 1997 Ford Falcon?

Ford of N.America produced a Falcon starting in
1960 but concluded the run about 1975.   It was
Ford's 4 to 5 seater attempt to compete against the
VW, Mini and early Datsuns.  We referred to it as
an econo-box, as its initial 220 cid 6 cylinder
variant was the stereotype of gutless wonders. =

Later variants came with the 260 and 289 cid V8,
although some enthusiasts found the right shoe
horns to fit the 390 and 426 cid V8 into it.  =

The Falcon frame was breathed over by John
DeLorian and Lee Iacocca and thus shared by the
Mk. I Mustang.

Is Ford Aus continuing to produce a car under that
name?  >>

You're pretty correct with your assumptions .. the Aussie Falcon can trac=
its roots back to the same car of the 1960's.

We got V8 fever around the same time as the 289's were being put into the=

Mustang.  The largest engine we ever saw was the 351 and today we're back=

with the 302 - (5 litres for those of you on the list who don't understan=
the American measure!)

Our car is a XR8 which is the current high performance version with a 5
speed box.  The car is built by Tickford which takes the base vehicle off=

the Ford production lines and adds their bits which are mainly handling
plus a body variant.  =

The suspension was sorted by a combination of Stephen Hoinville and John
Bowe.

Steve works for Tickford and won the Grand Prix Rally a couple of years a=
go
with his old man Graham who is part of the heirarchy at CAMS - the Aussie=

FIA affiliate and motorsport governing body.

John Bowe is a Ford works driver - he runs one of  the Dick Johnson Racin=
Falcons - and one of the best steerers in the country.

The end result is a big comfortable car with quite good performance by an=
standard at a very affordable price.  It's a good tow car and performs
amazingly well on the circuit itself.

regards

Jeremy Braithwaite
Age & Treachery Racing Australia

For details of FF rentals, test days and corporate days see:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/atroz

1970 Lotus 61MX - Team Holland
1976 Bowin P6F
1983 Reynard FF83 =

1986 Isuzu FVR Pantechnicon
1972 Datsun 240Z
1993 RF93 Van Diemen with 95 update - deposit paid
1997 Ford Falcon XR8 Tickford
A large collection of model cars

Investor in the Lance Ruting Collection of motorsport photographs