Re: REQ for info on Gulf Oil

To: ajk <alfred@ajkco.com>
Subject: Re: REQ for info on Gulf Oil
From: Barton Spencer Brown <bartbrn@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:26:31 -0500
ajk wrote:

> Haven't been following this thread, so don't know what's already been said,
>or what was really being pursued, but Gulf Oil, the British company which
>sponsors, for example, the Mclaren F1 GTR, is wholly owned by California-based
>Chevron Corporation.  There are numerous companies bearing the name Gulf,
>including petroleum distributorships and retailers.
>
> -Alfred

Alfred -- Thanks for the info. I was the original questioner. Among
other things, I found this interesting story from the July 28, 1995
issue of "The European":

"Invisible man aims to put glamour back into Gulf Oil. (Sanjay Hinduja,
vice-president of Hinduja Group, and Gulf Oil International)
HE IS quiet, polite, secretive and largely anonymous -- the very model
of Swiss banker, except that Sanjay Hinduja is the first Indian to open
a private bank in Switzerland. The 31-year-old is vice-president of a
corporate dynasty that runs one of India's top ten trading companies,
the little-known Hinduja Group, which claims a turnover of $11 billion
from oil trading, vehicle manufacturing and banking activities....

This summer the group bought a 100 per cent stake in Gulf Oil
International from the Austrian state oil concern OMV. GOI is one of the
many scattered remnants of the the so-called Seven Sisters -- the
world's seven big oil ompanies -- which fell apart in the 1980s.

Previously, the group had owned a 50 per cent stake in GOI, which
markets and distributes the once famous Gulf lubricant brand. Hinduja
perceives the Gulf brand as a potential winner, and now intends to
relaunch it throughout Europe over the next two years.

Although the distinctive orange logo disappeared from thousands of
European forecourts some time ago, market research has apparently shown
a fondness for the brand. Many would-be customers can recall the era
when Ford GT40s won Le Mans and the days when the American film star and
amateur racing driver Steve McQueen brought glamour to the trademark.
The magic was rekindled this year when a Gulf-sponsored McLaren F1 GTR
came fourth in June's Le Mans. Financing for the car was shared between
the Hinduja group and US oil group Chevron, which owns Gulf Oil UK...

excerpted...
COPYRIGHT 1995 The European Ltd.

Gibson, Marcus, Invisible man aims to put glamour back into Gulf Oil.
(Sanjay Hinduja, vice-president of Hinduja Group, and Gulf Oil
International)., The European, 07-28-1995, pp 23(1).