Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50

To: "Dr G W Owen" <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>, <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:33:02 -0600
Something that has served me well for lots of years is a
simple test that I apply to any "gee whiz" product or
practice that comes along:

I ask myself:  If this is any good, wouldn't market forces
have the manufacturers including it as standard equipment
immediately?  They are not stupid, they hear the same things
we hear, car makers spend millions seeking better economy in
order to meet  US CAFE regulations.

Further, if you had a valid product, wouldn't you advertise
proven double-blind test results and offer a guarantee?  All
I see on the "miracle" products are testimonials from suspect
customers or such empty phrases as "up to 10% improvement".
I sadly note that the "split-fire" spark plug now claims
sales in the tens of millions at 5 or 6 bucks a pop!
Tony