Looking for car to auto-x/vintage race - advice?

To: "'Vintage Race'" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Looking for car to auto-x/vintage race - advice?
From: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 17:18:14 -0500
It appears that I'm in the car buying market again so I'm looking for
suggestions, any help would be appreciated.  I live in Milwaukee, WI and
autocross an 85 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE in SCCA Solo II and Midwestern
Council.  Solo is great but living so close to Elkhart Lake, Blackhawk
and Gingerman, I'd like to get out on the track somehow.

Until recently I was going to install safety equipment (cage, fuel cell,
belts, etc.) in my buddies 67 Datsun Roadster for Vintage racing next
summer.  However, now it looks like he's getting cold feet and doesn't
want to mess with the car.  Another option is to install a cage and
belts in my RX7 (it's actually eligible for MC Showroom Stock, believe
it or not) but my brake fluid gets fried after 3 practice laps at
Blackhawk, (currently using NAPA DOT 4 fluid).  I suppose better fluid,
air ducting and race pads would help but old rusty's engine has 160K
miles on it so I'm hesitant to throw a lot of money into it.   Yet
another option is buying a used IT car and bang fenders with those guys.

I guess I'm looking to sell the Rx7 and buy something 1973 or earlier,
street legal, and vintage legal for less than $10,000, (gee, I'm not
asking for much, am I?).  If it's already a vintage racer, all the
better.  (Did someone say Z car?)

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff