Re: tr3/4 axles

To: tedtsimx@bright.net
Subject: Re: tr3/4 axles
From: BFEKENG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 02:24:32 -0400 (EDT)
JOE,We have been racing TR's since 1955 & in a variety of venues Rallye's
 Autox,SCCA RACING,Vintage racing & mostly 25 years of Drag racing.Now
nothing loads a rear axle like drag racing.When you sidestep the clutch at
6500  RPM at
the line & bury  the throttle at the same time,the load,with 8" M&h drag
slicks
laying down a smoke screen must be almost incalcuable.However it is a
different  type of load than what you are chasing now
  A few items I have noticed
1/ the axles are not breaking within the joint where axle & hub come together
2/The breaks according to what I hear are between the bearing & the joint
3/years ago we tried a custom built axle with splined on hub but soon found
that
the flexing & fretting between splined axle & splined hub ,very soon began to
loosen& was Quickley unusable.
4/The price advantage appears to be with the axles chip bond planned on
building & as John Lye so wisely noted he would get to use the NEAT hubs he
got from JEFF SNOOK.
5/ There has been mention of using a Ford 8",There are a ton of alternate
gear ratio's available,a very good limited slip at bargain prices.
However,that setup under a TR3-4 should make the tech people "crazy". In
addition at least two cars
have had the axles fail in much the same way as the production unit.

I think at this point it is probably most practical to stay with an up grade
of the stock axle

                                                    KEN G.

                                    British Frame & Engine