Team Thicko at the Glen

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Team Thicko at the Glen
From: "Gary S." <speckman@coredcs.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 16:18:09 -0500
                  Team Thicko(parts of)Does the Glen

This was my first venture to Watkins Glen and the SVRA US Vintage Grand Prix
event.  It will not be my last. This is an excellent event.  One of the
things I enjoy about Vintage racing is the sense of History these events
have.  Watkins Glen reeks of road racing history.  You can feel it in the
air, much like Road America, or Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Thursdays' practice were learning sessions for me.  The track has some
corners that, at first, offer a choice of gears.  I learned, as the weekend
progressed and I came "up to speed" that this really isnt true, cept for the
hairpin in the boot.  You mess up on the entry and you are grabbing second
gear in a hurry..but after some practice I managed to negotiate this corner
in third although wishing I had a 2 1/2 gear at some times.

Friday's sessions went better as I became familiar with the track but what I
remember most about Friday was the Grand Prix festival in downtown Watkins
Glen, especially the two laps the race cars got to take following the old
road course through the city streets.  Exiting town with, literally
thousands of people standing on the curbs, reaching out, trying to almost
touch cars was quite an experience.  Then, coming back into town, the same
thing.  A tunnel of people on both sides of the street, waving, cheering,
inches away. It was unbelievable.  Just that made the trip. (well, almost)

Saturday we had rain for our "qualifying" race.  I managed to move the #55
Bugeye from 18th at the start to 9th.  I actually enjoy racing in the rain,
although I did have one "close encounter" with Bob Fairbanks in a Cooper S.
He was driving an unfamiliar car and was not used to the mirrors, thank god
for peripheral vison!  I has headed straight for his passenger side door as
he turned into corner one and I was still going straight on the inside
attempting a pass.  I cranked the wheel, stomped on the brakes and, with the
wet track, still went straight.  He saw me just in time and twitched the
wheel enough to miss me.  Thanks Bob.  He came over later and said, "I dont
have to apologize, but I will."  Great guy.

I feel pretty good about how the Team Thicko Bugeye did at Watkins Glen. I
managed to cut some time off each session and believe I had the quickest
time of the 5 Bugeyes competeing.  In the Sunday race, I managed to get out
in front of the Group 1D cars and looked like I may be able to come home
with a first when I got pushed out onto the rumble strips in corner one.  By
the time I had the car back in shape and on the track, three 1D cars had
passed me.  Two laps left.  I managed to catch and pass Chris Gross in a
beautiful red Bugeye.  The Sunbeam Imp of Louis Rose and the '49 MG TC of Wm
Hollingsworth were too far ahead to catch by this time.  I almost had the MG
but ran out of laps.( I know...sounds familiar, right?)

It was a great race, everyone came home safe and a great time was had by all.
It was great meeting some of the "east" coast racers, especially Roger
Garnett, whom I pitted with, and Doug Meis of Team Escargot.  Numerous
others..but memory...bla bla bla...

Anyway.....We will be back!

Gary Speckman
Team Thicko