Re: tires

To: unitedps@mozcom.com
Subject: Re: tires
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:04:05 PDT
Marc Ablaza wrote:
> We have been grappling with the dreaded tire issue for ome time now and
> perhaps some of you may be able to help us.
>
> Presently, our rules have restricted the use of "R" rated tires for vintage
> racing.  We only use street tires with an aspect ratio of not less than
> 65%.

You mean you don't allow street legal HR or VR rated tires?  Most clubs
over here allow them, as long as they have symmetrical tread.  We don't
allow unidirectional or asymmetrical tires in most clubs.  Some don't
care.  Even the old Pirelli P3's from ancient times were SR rated.  Are
you saying you don't allow any R rated tires?

> There seems to be no problem with the smaller sports cars like TRs, MGBs,
> MGAs, etc.  The big problem lie with the American sports cars like the
> Mustangs GT350s and the Corvettes.  As far as I know, the Goodyear
> Bluestreaks for these cars, available in the USA, have a lower aspect ratio
> even if these are bias-ply tires

The problem is that these cars have very wide wheels compared to the
small cars.  I would suggest that since the Goodyear Blue Streaks are a
bias ply tire, and not street legal, that you just allow them as is.
The 65 aspect ratio is reasonable for street legal radial tires, IMO.  I
think the original tires on these cars would have been 70 series if they
were radials.  These are getting somewhat harder to find now.  Tire
availability should also be considered.