Elkhart 97

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Elkhart 97
From: CLCSF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:47:29 -0400 (EDT)
What a great weekend!

Four of us trucked our cars from SF and never stopped smiling. Weather was
interesting, but always driveable. Actually, it only rained on the Thursday
AM practice.

What a treat to drive flat out for 4 plus miles through that gorgeous
countryside. The two consectutive street partys were  wonderful evenings.
Watching the concours race cars light up their tires as they blasted out of
town back to the track at dusk was a sight to behold. The crowd parted just
far enough to let them through and screamed for joy.

Cold beer and warm friendship on Siebkens porch. Beer soaked brats and husk
roasted corn dipped in butter at the marvelous refreshment stands. A
fantastic dinner trackside in a huge tent with a 40s dance band on Friday
nite.

Mosquitos? what mosquitos??

My only problem, a broken ALFA crankshaft after 2 (count em 2) laps on
Thursday. Fortunately I located an old friend, Bill Dredge who rented me a
kickass TR6 for the weekend at a bargain price and I had a ball with 2.5
liters of tractor engine on those looooong straghtaways.

Thanks to everyone who had anything to do with our wonderful weekend.

Don Queen- 56 ALFA / TR6
Gary Kuntz- Lotus Cortina
Jerry Tinney- 72 ALFA GTV
John KerbyMiller - African Safari Comet