Re: ...out of the closet.

To: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Subject: Re: ...out of the closet.
From: Clark Smith <Clark@dnf.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 20:35:15 -0700
Hi Simon,

I think the dnf.com domain is more appropriate now than ever.  Maybe it
will bring me good karma- ying and yang, you know.

The transmission is a split case Porsche unit of correct vintage.  I
believe it is original to the chassis but I can't prove that until I get
the cardex.  I will probably try to buy a newer unit because I have some
644 and 716 stuff sitting around.  I'd love to run the same unit as my
Speedster, just for the  sake of familiarity.

I do appreciate and understand the concept of the "cheater Porsche" and am
just playing with you guys.  I'm pleased that you consider this a
legitimate racer because that makes this restoration just that much more
exciting.

If this car could talk.

Clark

>Given your description, this is not a "cheater Porsche" at all. It is
>a perfectly legitimate sports racing special. I'd put it in the same
>category and run group as the infamous Pooper.
>
>BTW, what tranny does it use?  If the answer is spelled Hewland, then
>it IS a cheater. ;=)
>
>If you are using the early 356 split-case, single mount Porsche unit
>with hard synchros, then we're brethren, sort of.  My Bourgeault uses
>one of these things. Ask me how hard it was to get parts for it. ;=(
>A later 356 unit would be better, but no cheaper to rebuild.
>
>BTW, BTW now that you actually have a car, you might want to dump the
>dnf.com domain name.

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.