Re: Tow Vehicles

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicles
From: CLCSF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 12:12:39 -0400 (EDT)
Too many of us have a V8,rear wheel drive complex.  There is absolutely no
reason to own anything larger or more powerful that a Dodge Caravan unless
you are hauling an enclosed trailer.
I pulled my ALFA Spider on an open trailer from SF to Phoenix (not flat land)
and got 18 mpg with nary a downshift, with my 97 Dodge 3.3, out of overdrive.
I have a factory tow package only. Rear wheel drive is a myth for what we are
doing, this is not a tractor pull !
On the otherhand horsepower is not the only answer for towing an enclosed
trailer. Someone suggested a V8 Jeep. Lots of luck going down a long steep
grade with an 8000 lb trailer pushing that 5000lb car !!
I'm still in love with my Mini-Winnie Ford 460 RV. It is heaven on earth at
the track, tows flawllessly, with the proper suspension, and I can pee
anywhere-anytime (an old guy problem)
The harsh reality is that a vehicle capable of towing an enclosed trailer and
race car makes a lousy every day driver.
Use an open trailer or get an RV.
Don Queen
56 ALFA Spider