FW: Re: race entry prices...further comments

To: vintage-race
Subject: FW: Re: race entry prices...further comments
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 00:14:28 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["Wm.
Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thrunet.net>]]

     Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 14:12:56 -0500
     From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thrunet.net>
     Subject: Re: race entry prices...further comments

To all,

It's interesting to see the disparity in track time vs. dollars around
the country. We're very fortunate to have so many tracks in relatively
close proximity (north of Chicago). I participate in VSCDA, SVRA, CHR,
and Midwest Council events.

Blackhawk Farms (IL)    1 hour
Road America    (WI)    2.2 hours
Gingerman       (MI)    4 hours
IRP             (IN)    4 hours
Grattan         (MI)    5 hours
Brainerd        (MN)    6 hours
Gateway (IL)    6 hours
Waterford Hills         (MI)    6 hours
Mid-Ohio        (OH)    8 hours

We've made trips to Watkins Glen & Summit Point to race..(12 hours).

Certain race events within my home organization (VSCDA) are better value
than others.. (Grattan in August gives us 4 sessions Friday, 2 practice,
one sprint race on Saturday, warm up & race on Sunday. Some events
charge only $5 for enduros...(which when you add in tire wear, is about
the right amount to have Group 6 cars and late model Porsche LeMans type
cars sneak up on you and scare the wiz out of you while you're feeling
pretty good about the 115mph you're managing out of a Sprite.)

Decent meals and welcome parties are not that costly to put on, and
really can add to the perceived value in a race weekend.

Some events do a much better job with "family" activities.

The cost of having a motorhome on site overnight varies greatly... from
free with an on site waste dump (Grattan) to $100 (Paid 6 months in
advance of the event...are you kidding me?) for the CHR weekend at Road
America.

Midwest Council provides a decent amount of track time for the $, but
the groups are wacky due to limited participation.

I went to a Chicago area SCCA meeting to discuss vintage, and was told
by their main licensing hoohah that vintage racing was "just touring".
Bite me buddy.

It's interesting how the "vibe" at the SVRA Road America event was
different than past years. Maybe due to the uncertainty of the business
end of the organization ( it was subsequently sold)...but everyone
seemed a bit friendlier. Track time was excellent (in part, due to an
all British production race on Saturday).

CHR had more tracktime last year than in previous years... but at the
expense of the Pre-war  group which was axed. My opinion... I'd rather
see the Pre-war guys than 5 year old stock cars any day. A '55
Chrysler... a '62 Pontiac... in correct vintage trim... you bet. But
Michael Waltrip's 4 year old whatever... no thanks.

A couple of seasons ago, VSCDA made what in my opinion is a mistake, by
reserving the upper paddock at Grattan for the "Monoposto" group. It
just happens that this is the paved area with electric as well. There's
enough "class distinction" and elitist bastards in this sport without
giving them special license. (Recent attitude by some Big dollar guys
staking out pit spots at the recent SVRA Road America enduro also comes
to mind.)

I understand the need for organizations to reserve some money for rained
out events... but some seem to become cash cows. I like the idea of an
event generating donations to charity... but that brings with it a whole
set of additional discussions.

I hope to be able to travel a bit more and experience some other
organization's events. (I liked the Mosport discussion... sounds like it
needs to be on my schedule next year).

Thanks for all the responses to my original post.

Enjoy yourself. Drive fast... drive safe.

WST
Team Thicko