vintage porsche 914 racing

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: vintage porsche 914 racing
From: unitedps@mozcom.com (Marc Ablaza)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:53:22 +0800 (HKT)
Hello to all vintage racing enthusiasts worldwide!

Just a few thoughts before I get to my inquiry...

1.      Racing whether it is vintage or modern is a high risk activity.  It
is therefore important that racers all over the world realize that
eventually somebody will get hurt or at worse die if they are not trained
and well prepared in the discipline of racing and if their cars are not
well-prepared as well.

2.      Strict enforcement of rules on the track (e.g. passing) is only one
part of that thing we call racing discipline.  Others factors include
attitudes, skills, and knowledge of all concerned in racing.  Certainly,
age, background, and other personal factors are also included.  And all
these are very difficult to address and if we do, we might not be racing at
all.

And now for my inquiry...

I am presently preparing a 1970 Porsche 914 1.7L for my father who intends
to go vintage racing this season.  My father used to race in the 60's
particularly in ddrag racing with some exploits in rallying.  He wants to
try his hand in vintage circuit racing.

Does anyone in the web race a 914 for vintage events?  If there are any, I
would like to know their various set-ups because this is my first time to
restore and to race-prep a Porsche 914.  My background is in setting up
various VWs for racing (my vintage racer is a 1956 Oval Window VW).  I hope
my knowledge in VWs apply in the Porsche 914.

Please send e-mail regarding race prepping a Porsche 914 for vintage racing.

Thanks in advance for you help.  More power to vintage racers!!!

Marc Ablaza ('56 Oval VW)