[jcockey@crosslink.net: RE: Vintage fatality]

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [jcockey@crosslink.net: RE: Vintage fatality]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 11:09:23 -0600
    Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 11:50:24 -0400
    To: wheeltowheel@abingdon.Eng.Sun.COM
    From: Josh Cockey <jcockey@crosslink.net>
    Subject: RE: Vintage fatality

At 09:15 5/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject: Vintage fatality
>Author:  Dale Disque <DaleD@JUDDS.com> at NBS-Internet-Gateway
>Date:    5/19/97 9:05 AM
>
>I heard that a Porsche driver was killed in a Vintage accident at Summit
>Point yesterday -- any details?  Are their safety specs the same as the
>SCCA club racing?

        Near the end of the Vintage 1 hour Wyer Cup Enduro Race for cars raced
between 1966 and 1980 at the Jefferson 500 event at Summit Point Raceway
yesterday, a Chevron B21 driven by John Legat of Carol Stream, IL attempted
to pass a BMW at turn 2. The 2 cars made contact and went off track drivers
left between turns 2 and 3. The driver of the Chevron was killed instantly
on impact with the bank and trees about 80-100 feet off track on what is
essentially a straight portion of the circuit.   The driver of the BMW
(whose name I don't have as he was not on my early entry list) received no
apparent injuries other then bruises from his harness.  F & C personnel
were on the scene in seconds and EV was dispatched immediately, but there
was nothing they could have done to save him.  The race was checkered early
under full course double-yellow by the stewards.

        These cars race under SVRA rules and requirements which are similar but
not identical to SCCA rules.

                Josh

----
 Josh Cockey                   |   Chief, Flag & Comm
 1225 Woodstock Road           |   Washington DC Region, SCCA
 King George, VA  22485        |   Home: [540] 663-3260
   E-Mail: jcockey@crosslink.net
      WWW: http://www.crosslink.net/pub/users/j/jcockey/