Re: EGT questions

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: EGT questions
From: pmeis@bgsm.edu (paul meis)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:08:56 -0400 (EDT)
>Well, I went and did it and now need some advice.
>
>Having always wondered what those mysterious side-drafts were really
>doing, I bought an exhaust gas temp setup and installed it on Ol' Blue.
>
>I think I have again purchased something that will help me engineer my
>way closer to the back of the pack.
>
>Has anyone had experience with this measurement who can give me some
>advice on what is normal and what higher or lower readings mean?
>
>I'd especially appreciate knowing the effect of rich vs. lean, timing
>advance, and whether these things respond quickly enough to tell what's
>happening on acceleration vs steady state.
>
>uncle jack - the Iowa pigs are squealing again

Jack, I don't know if you have more that one carburetor. It helps to have
at least one EGR per carb. Ideal for one EGR per cylinder. Leaner
mixture=higher EGR temp and more power. One method is to keep leaning down
until you obtain the highest temp, then back off one jet size, (to keep
your pistons from meltdown). On my tiny 850 Honda, with twim DCOE's, I like
to see 1200-1300 temp. Wnen I'm not overcome by the usual red mist, I check
EGR on the longest straight.
Paul Meis, Former Iowan, now residing in the Tarheel state.
"I've got a great race car, but have an idiot for a mechanic and a fool for
a driver, and I can't fire either one."
69 NTM-Honda D sports racer
72 Honda AZ600 coupe